By developing the proper foundation we can build a successful and meaningful life.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pillar number two- The Body





It has been a great start to 2010 so far. Its February 16th and I've already lost 20 lbs, but its not the weight loss that is significant. It is the reasons behind the weight loss that matter. I hear it all the time from people "you have to be careful not to gain that weight back", or "I never found a diet that lasted" when in reality they never kept a valid reason why to stay in shape in front of them.

I believe less than 2% of the world understands how to properly set goals to achieve a long-term dream or a long-term goal. What I've learned is that different things motivate different people, but more importantly, different things motivate different people at different times. Most people use the motivation of a New Years Resolution to get into the gym and lose some weight. The problem is the majority of people who embark on this journey are right back to their old habits as soon as it gets difficult or inconvenient. I am a member at Lifetime Fitness, which I believe is an incredible gym for both advanced fitness levels and novices; I was talking to the sales manager last month on my way in to work out. I had made my typical funny jab about how it must be tough to plan for parking in January, but as of February 1 the lot will be empty. He proceeded to tell me that in the month of January at this specific club they have 495 parking spaces and between 4-7pm between 700-900 people will enter the gym, but they will still sell 100 memberships in January because that number shrinks by 2/3 in February.

The point is many people start working out because they think its a good idea. My question is, whose idea is it? Was it an idea that popped into your head from your peers, a gym commercial on the TV, radio, or did it suddenly hit you while you were reading a book. Regardless of what has gotten you off the couch and into the gym you need to find something that will motivate you for the long haul. Here are some basic thought process tips to help you keep your mind right while working out.

1) Set a long-term goal back by simple achievable short-term goals. Goals are meant to be accomplished, they are meant to raise your confidence and your self image about what you think about you. DO NOT, compare what you are now with what you were capable of 10 years ago. My goal was to lose 10 lbs my first month, which with my lifestyle (eating habits and exercise) I was able to do that very easily. Month two I have two goals. 1) don't gain any weight back, 2) lose 3-5 more lbs.
2)Understand there are going to be distractions. Life is going to try to get in the way. Being healthy is not convenient, nor is it easy, but it is worth it. Understand that you will always feel pain in life. It will either be the pain of regret or the pain of discipline.
3)Find some encouragement- find a few people that know what you are trying to accomplish that won't let you quit at any cost and will pump you up when you need it. Put these 2-3 people on your speed dial for when you don't want to go to the gym. Understand successful people in anything they strive for don't listen to their emotions or feelings. Emotions and Feelings will only line up with your goals when its convenient for you.
4)Don't compare yourself with others. You must get to the point where all that matters is what you think of you. When you compare yourself with others you are comparing your worst with their best.


Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment