By developing the proper foundation we can build a successful and meaningful life.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Power of a Dream



This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I think the biggest issue our country is facing today is a lack of dreamers. We've traded in the ability to take risks to achieve great dreams for the "security" of a paycheck. It's unfortunate, I don't believe the pilgrims original intentions of coming to a new land was to be employed for someone else for 40-60 years. Here is a wake up call; you are always working towards the accomplishment of a dream, it's your choice if that dream is yours or the dream of the owner of your company. We all had real dreams at one point. When I was a kid I used to dream about playing in the NBA or being a fireman, or driving the Porsche 911 Turbo on the wall. Until about the age of 14 when people around me started asking what I was going to do with the rest of my life. Where was I going to go to college? What was I going to study? Looking back this all makes me sick. Here is my challenge to you; stop doing something that you can stomach, or even something that you like. The million dollar question, doing what your currently doing can you get to where you want to be 10 years from now? If the answer is no, than you have to change something. If the answer is yes I challenge you to get a bigger dream.

tell me what your dreams are, I want to know. This country needs to know its okay to dream again. Its acceptable to fail because that is the only way you will succeed.

A few tips to help you develop a dream...
1) hang around dreamers- if you wanted to get sick you would hang around someone with the flu. So if you want a bigger dream, you need to hang around a big dreamer.
2) dream build and then reality build- Picture yourself doing the things that you dream of doing. Picture yourself in the car that you want, picture yourself in the house that you want, picture yourself waking up at 10am and grabbing a cup of coffee on the beach just relaxing and gaining perspective on the day to come. What you focus on you will have.
3) Protect your dream, do not allow anyone else to steal your dream. Its your dream not theirs. A dream is the most valuable and most fragile thing you will ever own.

No comments:

Post a Comment